A psychiatrist is a doctor who specialises in mental health or psychiatry.
Who is a psychiatrist?
Some psychiatrists are more specialised and have more training in certain areas. These areas include:
- child and adolescent psychiatry
- mental health of mothers and babies
- young adult psychiatry
- old age psychiatry
- addiction psychiatry
- forensic psychiatry
What can a psychiatrist help with?
We all experience some ups and downs, sometimes feeling low and other times being happy. If you have ongoing distress and your ability to function is affected, you may have a mental illness. Talk to your GP or doctor first to find out whether you need to see a psychiatrist.
A psychiatrist can help with a number of mental health conditions, including:
- eating disorders
- bipolar disorder
- addictions and gambling
- personality disorders
- panic disorders
- intellectual disability
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Your psychiatrist can provide treatments such as:
- prescribing medications
- referring you to a psychologist for psychological therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), talking therapy or psychotherapy
- carrying out procedures such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?
There are 3 main differences between a psychiatrist and a psychologist:
|A psychiatrist:||A psychologist:|
Psychotherapists and counsellors also offer psychological therapies such as CBT, interpersonal therapy, family therapy, psychotherapy or talking therapy.
Where does a psychiatrist work?
Usually, you can find a psychiatrist in hospitals, outpatient clinics, prisons, community mental health services or rehab centers.
Talk to your GP or doctor about getting a referral to a psychiatrist. Or you can pay for a private service. Find a private psychiatrist here.
What training does a psychiatrist have?
A psychiatrist has to do at least 11 years of medical training and be registered with the Medical Council of NZ to work in New Zealand. Find out about different training options to become a psychiatrist on the Careers NZ website.
What's a psychiatrist? Your Health In Mind, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
Psychiatrists and psychologists: what's the difference? Your Health In Mind, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
Psychiatry NHS, UK
- Psychiatrist Careers NZ
- What's a psychiatrist? Your Health In Mind, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Psychiatrists and psychologists: what's the difference? Your Health In Mind, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists