Books, videos, apps and other tools to help you manage your long-term condition(s).
Mobile health apps
Mobile health apps can help you monitor your symptoms, track your progress towards health goals, learn about your condition, remember to take your medication and much more. The health app library provides a selection of apps so you can decide which one is right for you. The following categories may be useful in the management of your long-term condition:
- Pain management apps
- Self-management apps
- Goal setting, problem solving and motivation apps
- Sleep apps
- Breathing apps
- View all of the apps in the health app library
Self-care, also known as self-management, is about looking after yourself, especially if you have a long-term health condition. It includes learning about your condition and how to manage it, and partnering with your healthcare team to share in decisions about your treatment. It's also about taking charge of the things you can change.
Visit our self-care resources pages.
Programmes and courses
Whether you're living with recurrent or ongoing health problems or are keen to develop good self-care skills, one of the best things you can do to help yourself is attend what is referred to as a self-management programme.
Find a self-management programme.
Living a healthy life with chronic pain.
Sandra LeFort, Lisa Webster, Kate Lorig, et al. Bull Publishing, 2015.
Living a healthy life with chronic conditions.
Kate Lorig, Halsted Holman, David Sobel, et al. Bull Publishing, 2012.
- Getting help to stay well when you have long-term conditions
- Long term conditions – how to get the most out of your general practice visit.
- Self-management and self care videos
- Acute vs chronic pain
- Pain self-management videos
- Understanding pain – Brainman chooses
- 10 tips for managing chronic pain