The best diet is the one you can stick to, according to Canadian doctor Mike Evans.
You could eat like a caveman, or reduce sugar, carbohydrates or fat, increase protein and eat foods that release their energy slowly.
Whatever you choose, keep at it and you will see results because no single diet has been shown to be better than another when it comes to weight loss.
In Dr Evans’ newest video on YouTube, he encourages you to make small changes to your life that are easier to make than big changes, which are hard to sustain.
Dr Evans says you could make it easier to choose healthy food and reducing your portion sizes by keeping your fruit and vegetables in easy-to-find places in the kitchen and using smaller plates to encourage small helpings.
Shopping at a farmers’ market, or staying in the outer isles of the supermarket where the fresh food is kept, are also good ways of choosing foods that are healthier.
- Choose foods with single ingredients, ie apple, carrot, potato.
- Remove large plates or containers from your kitchen and use small plates to encourage small helpings.
- Add foods to your diet rather than subtract.
- Whatever you eat, always keep active because whether you lose weight or not – getting physical is always good for you.
- Keep a food diary, even if it’s only a week so you are more aware of what you eat.
- Follow the 80/20 rule – eat well 80% of the time to allow yourself some flexibility for special occasions. Strive for consistency, not perfection.
Make small tweaks to your life and do it with friends and family, then you can all be healthy together.
What's the Best Diet? Healthy Eating 101 Dr Mike Evans, 2015