Easy-to-read medicine information about vildagliptin – what it is, how to take vildagliptin safely and possible side effects.
|Type of medicine||Also called|
What is vildagliptin?
Vildagliptin is used to treat type 2 diabetes. It may be used by itself, or it may be combined with other diabetes medication such as metformin.
Vildagliptin works by increasing the amount of insulin produced by your body and reduces the amount of a substance called glucagon being produced by your pancreas. Glucagon causes your liver to produce more glucose, so by reducing the amount of glucagon in your body, this also helps to reduce the levels of glucose in your blood.
Vildagliptin is available as tablets (50 milligrams). Read more about type 2 diabetes.
- The usual dose of vildagliptin is 1 tablet (50 milligrams) once a day or two times a day.
- Always take your vildagliptin exactly as your doctor has told you. The pharmacy label on your medicine will tell you how much to take, how often to take it, and any special instructions.
How to take vildagliptin
- If you have been told to take one dose of vildagliptin each day, take it in the morning.
- If you have been told to take two doses each day, take your first dose in the morning and the second dose in the evening.
- Swallow your tablets with a drink of water.
- You can take the vildagliptin tablets before, during or after meals.
- Limit or avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking vildagliptin. It may affect the control of your blood glucose.
- If you forget your dose, take it as soon as you remember that day. But, if it is nearly time for your next dose, just take the next dose at the right time. Do not take double the dose.
- To control your diabetes, you must keep taking vildagliptin every day. Do not stop taking vildagliptin suddenly; speak to your doctor or nurse before stopping.
Precautions – before taking vildagliptin
- Do you have problems with your liver or kidneys?
- Do you problems with your heart such as heart failure?
- Are you pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Are you are taking or using any other medicines? This includes any medicines you are using which are available to buy from a pharmacy, supermarket or natural health store without a prescription.
If so, it’s important that you tell your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking vildagliptin. Sometimes a medicine isn’t suitable for a person with certain conditions, or it can only be used with extra care.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, vildagliptin can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them. Often side effects improve as your body gets used to the new medicine.
|Side effects||What should I do?|
Vildagliptin may interact with a few medications and herbal supplements, so check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting vildagliptin or before starting any new medicines.
Galvus Medsafe Consumer Information