Anoro Ellipta is used to treat COPD. Find out how to use Anoro Ellipta correctly and possible side effects.
|Type of medicine||Also called|
What is Anoro Ellipta?
Anoro Ellipta is used to prevent symptoms of COPD such as such wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath. It reduces your symptoms over the long term. Anoro Ellipta opens your air passages in your lungs making breathing easier. Anoro Ellipta must be used every day.
Using an inhaler device enables the medicine to go straight into your airways when you breathe in. This means that your airways and lungs are treated, but very little of the medicine gets into the rest of your body.
|Anoro Ellipta does not give immediate relief from wheezing, tight chest and shortness of breath|
|If you need quick relief from these symptoms, use your ‘reliever’ medicine such as salbutamol or terbutaline.|
- The dose of Anoro Ellipta is 1 inhalation once daily.
- Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. The pharmacy label on your medicine will tell you how much to use, how often to use it and any special instructions.
- Keep using your inhaler every day. Do not stop using it, even if you feel better. Since COPD is a long-term condition, prevention with Anoro Ellipta is ongoing and it needs to be used every day.
- Try to use your inhaler at the same time each day, to help you to remember to use it regularly.
- If you miss a dose, you can take it as soon as you remember. But if it is nearly time for your next dose, just take your next dose at the right time.
How to use your Ellipta inhaler
To get the most benefit, it is important to use the correct technique. Ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse to show you how to use your Ellipta inhaler. Here is some guidance:
(Health Navigator NZ & Auckland District Health Board, 2018)
Using your Ellipta inhaler
- Remove the device from the foil packing.
- Open: Pull back the mouth piece cover until you hear a click. Hold the device upright at all times. Breath out away from the device.
- Inhale your dose: Press your lips around the mouthpiece without covering the air vents on either side. Begin to breathe in rapidly and deeply through your mouth. Hold your breath for up to 10 seconds. Breathe out slowly. Close the mouth piece cover.
Cleaning and storing your Ellipta inhaler: Clean your device once a week by wiping the mouthpiece with a clean dry tissue. Do not wash the mouthpiece or allow it to get wet when cleaning. Close the device when not in use. Store it in a cool dry place, away from heat and moisture.
When to start a new inhaler: There is a window on the front of your Ellipta inhaler called a dose counter. When it turns red it is time to get a new inhaler.
Precautions – before using Anoro Ellipta
- Do you have heart disease?
- Do you have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroid)?
- Do you have high blood pressure (hypertension)?
- Do you have an irregular heartbeat or rhythm, including a very fast pulse?
- Do you have diabetes?
- Do you have problems with your prostate or have had difficulty passing urine?
- Do you have glaucoma?
- Are you pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Do you play professional or competitive sport?
- Do you have problems with your liver?
- Are you lactose intolerant?
If so, it’s important that you tell your doctor or pharmacist before you start using Anoro Ellipta. Sometimes a medicine isn’t suitable for a person with certain conditions, or it can only be used with extra care.
Like all medicines Anoro Ellipta can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them. Often side effects improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine.
|Side effects||What should I do?|
Anoro Ellipta Medsafe Consumer Information Sheets
- Umeclidinium + vilanterol New Zealand Formulary