Easy-to-read medicine information about Gaviscon Infant – what it is and how to use it safely.
What is Gaviscon Infant?
Gaviscon Infant is an antacid that is used for babies and infants (children less than 2 years) with symptoms of reflux such as spilling. Read more about reflux in babies and children. Gaviscon Infant works by thickening the contents of your baby’s stomach so that the milk is more difficult to spill up.
When should Gaviscon Infant NOT be used?
Gaviscon Infant should not be used for:
- preterm babies
- babies and infants at risk of dehydration from fever, diarrhoea (runny poos), vomiting (being sick) or high room temperature
- babies and infants with intestinal obstruction or symptoms of constipation.
It should not be used with other preparations containing thickening agents.
What is the dose of Gaviscon Infant?
Gaviscon Infant powder is available in sachets. The dose will depend on your child's weight.
Weight under 4.5 kg: 1 sachet mixed with feeds (or water if breastfed) when required. Maximum of 6 sachets in 24 hours.
Weight over 4.5 kg: 2 sachets mixed with feeds (or water if breastfed) when required. Maximum 12 sachets in 24 hours.
How to use Gaviscon Infant?
- Mix each sachet into 115 mL (4 fl oz) of feed in the bottle.
- Shake well. Feed as normal.
- Gaviscon increases the thickness of the feed, which may interfere with sucking.
Breastfed infants and other young children
- Mix each sachet with 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of cooled boiled water until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add another 10 mL (2 teaspoons) of cooled boiled water and mix.
When is the best time to give Gaviscon Infant?
For breastfed infants, give Gaviscon Infant part way through each feed or meal using a spoon or feeding bottle. For other infants, give Gaviscon Infant immediately following feeds. But if your baby is uncomfortable during feeds, you can give it immediately before a feed.
What is the difference between Gaviscon Infant and other Gaviscon products?
Gaviscon Infant contains less sodium than other Gaviscon preparations and is formulated for children under 2 years of age.