Interpreter services are available in most areas of New Zealand for hospital and primary care visits. This page provides an overview and links to key services.
Please note that from 1 October Language Line will no longer be operating. Its services will be replaced by Ezispeak. Ezispeak will provide on-demand telephone interpreting services for government agencies, accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 180 languages. Read more about Ezispeak and the change of contract for language assistance services.
New Zealand has three official languages: English, Te Reo Māori and New Zealand Sign Language.
Most common languages in NZ
According to the NZ Census 2013 data, the most widely spoken languages in New Zealand are:
- Te Reo Māori
- Samoan and
A number of District Health Boards fund local Interpreter Services for hospital and primary care visits.
Known local services include:
- Auckland DHB Interpreter Service
- The service is open from 8am to 4.30pm.
- For all enquires and bookings please contact (09) 6236453, fax (09) 6234695, or email PHIP@adhb.govt.nz.
- To access telephone interpreting, please call 0800 559 555.
- Counties Manukau DHB - Interpreting and Translation Service
Call Centre: 0800 47 00 22, Fax (09) 276 0198 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waitematā Auckland WATIS Interpreting Services
- Other DHBs Check your local DHB websites for details
- Intepreting NZ 04 384 2849
Other Health Providers
BreastScreen Aotearoa Akld, Wgtn, Blen, Chch, Nelson and Timaru Regions only
|0800 270 200|
|0800 611 116|
|04 389 5017|
|0800 764 766|
Northern Southland Medical Trust Lumsden Maternity Care
|03 248 7050|
|0800 933 922|