The B4 School Check is a FREE health check for pre-school children/ tamariki after they turn four and before they start school to make sure they are healthy and can learn well at school.
The B4 School Check is done by registered nurses and will take about 45 minutes. It includes:
- child health questionnaire
- behavioural/developmental screening – Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) and Parental Evaluation
- Developmental Status (PEDS) tools
- hearing and vision screening
- measurement of height and weight recording
- oral health assessment – Lift the Lip
- health promotion and education
- referrals to appropriate health, education or social services and follow up
- immunisation (if overdue) where possible
The B4 School Check is the 12th (and final) core contact of the Well Child Tamariki Ora Schedule of services. It is not designed to pick up every health problem your child might have, so if you have any concerns about your child at any time, talk to your family doctor.
For more information on the B4 School Check talk with your Plunket Nurse, doctor or local Well Child provider. You can also:
- Check using the Before School Check key contacts by DHB region Ministry of Health
- Call Healthline on 0800 611 116 which includes a Well Child line that provides parenting advice and health education information.
- Beforeschoolcheck website for Auckland, Waitematā and Counties maps
B4 School Check information for early learning services Ministry of Health NZ
B4 School Check information for the health sector Ministry of Health NZ
Child health questionnaire Ministry of Health, NZ