A tasty way to add legumes to the school canteen or early learning service menu.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 litre stock, meat or vegetable (low salt)
- ½ cup lentils, red or brown
- 2 cups seasonal vegetables, chopped, (eg, pumpkin, parsnip, kumara, carrot)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, 400 g can.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, soften the onion in the oil.
- Add the stock, lentils, and vegetables and cook until soft (45–60 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes.
- Mash or purée slightly for a smoother soup.
- Serves 8.