These baked beans are similar to the canned versions, but only cost a small fraction of the price to make.
- 500g dry haricot beans
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, large, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1.25kg tomatoes, canned in juice
- 2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vinegar.
- Soak the beans in plenty of cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the beans are tender, approximately 1-1.5 hours.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add onion and sauté until soft and golden brown.
- Add garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add canned tomatoes, Worcester sauce, sugar and vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook gently for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Blend tomatoes to a smooth sauce.
- Mix tomato sauce with cooked beans.
- Heat to serve or freeze in portion sized containers for later use.
- Serves 8.