Vegetable soup is always a favourite and can be adapted for whats in season. Make a big pot and freeze leftovers for lunches or a quick meal on the run.
- 2 onion, chopped
- 2 tspn oil
- 1 packet old-fashioned soup mix containing barley, lentils, split peas (low salt)
- 4–5 cups seasonal vegetables, chopped (eg, pumpkin, parsnip, kumara, carrot, courgette, silver beet, leek)
- As per packet instructions water.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, soften the onion in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for the time recommended on the packet.
- Mash or purée slightly for a smoother soup.
- Serves 5+.