A crunchy salad that children of all ages will love.
- ¼ cabbage (red or green), finely shredded
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ⅓ cucumber, quartered lengthwise, finely sliced
- ½ cup peanuts, (optional)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ cup fresh herbs (coriander, mint or parsley), chopped
- ¼ cup yoghurt, plain reduced fat
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Combine the cabbage, red onion, cucumber, peanuts (if using), and fresh herbs in a large bowl.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and add to the cabbage mixture.
- Toss well.
- Serves 4.
- If your centre or school is nut free, the peanuts can be omitted.
- Experiment with fresh herbs such as basil, coriander, parsley and mint – they add heaps of flavour.
- For a Hawaiian flavour add half a cup of pineapple pieces.
- Add a drained can of whole kernel corn or baby corn.
- Grated apple or pear will add sweetness; top with chopped walnuts.
- Could be served alongside macaroni & cheese for a healthy lunch at an early learning service.