Housing support and information

Get help to find emergency, transitional and social housing.

Need help due to Auckland flooding? Contact Auckland Emergency Management on 0800 22 22 00, or visit their website for more information. Read more below about getting emergency assistance due to weather issues and because of the pandemic.

If you are currently affected by the flooding in Auckland there are places you can contact for help

If you need immediate help because your life is at risk call 111.

If you need to evacuate and can't stay with friends or whānau you can go to a Civil Defence Centre or phone 0800 22 22 00.  Locations of Civil Defence Centres are:

  • West: St Leonards Road School, 15 Saint Leonards Road, Kelston
  • North: Massey University Albany Campus, Sir Neil Walters Lecture Theatre, Massey University East Precinct, Albany Expressway SH17
  • South: Manu Tukutuku, 32 Riverton Drive, Randwick Park.

Bring with you any essential items you may need, including medication, warm clothing and baby items.

For welfare assistance you can phone the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 400 100.

To report flooding, damage to drains, or stormwater issues, please log your issue online at aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/report-problem or phone Auckland Emergency Management on 0800 22 22 00.

For more information visit the Auckland Emergency Management website. 

We know the pandemic has put a real strain on the economy and has affected many people's work situations. It may be that you've lost your job, have been unable to work because you've been sick, or you're having to work from home and deal with tamariki as well. Read more about mixing work and parenting and home schooling during the pandemic

Where to find housing and accommodation support

Image credit: 123rf

There is housing and accommodation support available, and the following information describes where to find support for your situation. Click on the green text in the sections to be taken to the relevant website.

It’s a good idea to always ask services for any further support that might be available to you.

General information and support

The Work and Income site has links to find out about the different types of support available for individuals, families/whānau, employers and self-employed people affected by COVID-19. All the information on Work and Income sites is provided in a variety of languages. 

Job loss

If you’ve lost your job or can’t work you may be able to get a benefit, some other financial help or support to find work. It may be possible to get help even if you’re working and on a low income. You may be able to get help with the costs of food, accommodation, power, gas, heating or water and medical and dental care. Find out more about help for you and your whānau. 

Unexpected costs

There are options for help with urgent or unexpected costs (even if you’re working). These include:

  • kai/food
  • accommodation costs (rent, mortgage, board)
  • power, gas and water bills or heating
  • dental treatment
  • glasses
  • whiteware (eg, fridge, freezer, washing machine)
  • medical costs
  • home repairs and maintenance
  • car repairs
  • bereavement
  • fire or theft.


If you’re having trouble finding or affording a stable home, you may be able to get access to low-cost housing or help with accommodation costs. Read about getting help with housing and paying rent. 

Work and Income offers an accommodation supplement that’s paid weekly to help you with rent, board or the cost of owning a home. Find out if you’re eligible (meet the criteria).

Emergency housing 

If you have nowhere to stay tonight or in the next 7 nights, you may be able to apply for emergency housing through Work and Income. 

temporary accommodation service has been set up to assist people who have been displaced by COVID-19. You can contact them on 0508 754 163 (8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday). An interpreter service is available plus a video relay service for people who are deaf or hearing impaired. 

If you are homeless there is support available in Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland). 

(Health Navigator NZ and Te Whatu Ora | Health New Zealand, Waitematā, 2022)
View descriptive transcript in English
View transcript in Cook Islands Māori
View transcript in Niuean
View transcript in Tokelauan

Other resources

For whānau in need

The COVID-19 welfare phone line (0800 512 337) is a free service that can help you with:

  • food and essential items
  • mobile data so you can keep in contact with friends and whānau
  • support for personal care or daily tasks
  • talking to your employer if you are worried about your leave or pay
  • mental health support
  • support with family or sexual violence.

Free rapid antigen tests (RATs) are available to order online. 

For employers/self-employed and social housing providers 

COVID-19 leave support scheme is available to employers, including self-employed people, to help pay their employees who must self-isolate because of COVID-19 and can't work at home during that period.

Information for social housing providers NRHCC & Unite Against COVID-19, NZ.

Credits: Health Navigator Editorial Team.