An online 6-week sleep improvement programme with a focus on sleep compression/restriction therapy.
|Sleepio||By Big Health Ltd|
At the time of writing, the app is not freely available to people living in New Zealand. Instead, the program is only available through a research programme which you can apply for on the website. The programme authors advised us that this can take up to 8 weeks to get an invitation. It is freely available for people who sign up with a London or Thames Valley postcode.
Read a clinical review of this app.
|Security and privacy||Does the app:
What does the Sleepio programme do?
Sleepio is an interactive sleep improvement programme, to help people with insomnia (for people who have difficulty getting to sleep or sleeping through the night). The programme is based on cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). You learn techniques and behavioural strategies to help reset sleeping patterns naturally, without relying on sleeping pills. You are encouraged to complete the Sleepio course online at a time and pace that suits you.
Users of the free version can use the sleep diary function. Paid subscribers have access to brief sleep interventions if unable to fall asleep and a 6-week video CBT programme.
A summary of contents:
- Week 1: Learn about causes of poor sleep and goal setting
- Week 2: Address lifestyle barriers to sleep and improving the sleep environment
- Week 3: Boost sleep efficiency through sleep restriction
- Week 4: Learn strategies to clear mind for sleep
- Week 5: Learn further strategies to improve sleep based on user’s specific issues and progress
- Week 6: Maintaining progress
For the complete programme description, go to the website.
✔ Evidence-based therapy delivered in an easy-to-understand format.
✘ The paid subscription is costly.
- May 2021: Version: 1.8.1 4-2606, Apple iOS
- May 2019: Version: 1.8.10, Apple iOS
|If you are the developer and would like to provide updated information about this app, please email the app library manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
- Espie CA, Kyle SD, Williams C, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of online cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomnia disorder delivered via an automated media-rich web application Sleep. 2012 Jun 1;35(6):769-81.
- Bostock S, Luik AI, Espie CA. Sleep and productivity benefits of digital cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia: A randomized controlled trial conducted in the workplace environment J Occup Environ Med. 2016 Jul;58(7):683-9.
- Barnes CM, Miller JA, Bostock S. Helping employees sleep well: Effects of cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia on work outcomes. J Appl Psychol. 2017 Jan;102(1):104-113.
- Freeman D, Sheaves B, Goodwin GM, et al. The effects of improving sleep on mental health (OASIS): a randomised controlled trial with mediation analysis. Lancet Psychiatry. 2017 Oct;4(10):749-758.
Disclaimer: Health Navigator’s app library is a free consumer service to help you decide whether a health app would be suitable for you. Our review process is independent. We have no relationship with the app developers or companies and no responsibility for the service they provide. This means that if you have an issue with one of the apps we have reviewed, you will need to contact the app developer or company directly.