An app aimed at anyone wanting to keep track of their food intake, physical activity and weight.
|Calorie counter by FatSecret||By FatSecret|
Get the app:
|Security and privacy||Does the app:
|Cost||Free (option to upgrade to Premium with in-app purchase, which include meal plans, custom meals and water tracker)|
What does the app do?
This app uses a food intake and physical activity log to help you manage your weight. The app also includes a body weight tracker and a variety of quick and easy recipes. For a more detailed description of the app, go to the app website, Google Play or App store and, for a detailed review, see Reviews.
✔ The graphs clearly show the user's progress against goals.
✔ The database includes New Zealand foods, brands, restaurants and recipes.
✔ Connects to other devices to track movement.
✔ Customises to your goals.
✔ Provides a breakdown of macros and nutrients in your diary log.
✘ There is no interpretation of nutrition quality or the amount of physical activity achieved.
✘ The app is not very intuitive, having lots of repetition, and could lead to user fatigue and boredom.
✘ You must upgrade to Premium to access meal plans.
Privacy and security
- February 2021, Version 8.15, Apple
- January 2021, Version 18.104.22.168, Android
- June 2016, Version 22.214.171.124.4, Android
|If you are the developer and would like to provide updated information about this app, please email the app library manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
The following references relate to articles about apps for weight loss.
- Chen J, Cade JE, Allman-Farinelli M. The Most Popular Smartphone Apps for Weight Loss: A Quality Assessment. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2015 Dec 16;3(4):e104. doi: 10.2196/mhealth.4334.
- Coughlin SS, Whitehead M, Sheats JQ. Smartphone Applications for Promoting Healthy Diet and Nutrition: A Literature Review. Jacobs J Food Nutr. 2015;2(3):021
- Flores Mateo G, Granado-Font E, Ferré-Grau C, Montaña-Carreras X. Mobile Phone Apps to Promote Weight Loss and Increase Physical Activity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Internet Res. 2015 Nov 10;17(11):e253. doi: 10.2196/jmir.4836.
- Hingle M, Patrick H. There Are Thousands of Apps for That: Navigating Mobile Technology for Nutrition Education and Behavior. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016 Mar;48(3):213-218
Disclaimer: Health Navigator’s app library is a free consumer service to help you decide whether a health app would be suitable for you. Our review process is independent. We have no relationship with the app developers or companies and no responsibility for the service they provide. This means that if you have an issue with one of the apps we have reviewed, you will need to contact the app developer or company directly.