An app that helps people cope with anxiety, depression and mood disorders.
|Virtual Hope Box||By T2|
(0 reviews) Be the first to rate this app!
What does the app do?
The Virtual Hope Box app was originally developed for military service men and women (and their families) by the US Department of Defense. It contains simple tools to help people with coping, relaxation, distraction and positive thinking. The app is divided into four main sections.
- Distract Me has four types of short games you can play to distract yourself from negative thoughts and feelings. Although the games don’t come with any instructions, but aren’t difficult to figure out. The photo puzzle is nice because you can choose your own photo or an image of an inspirational saying to use as the puzzle.
- Inspire Me has lots of inspirational quotes or you can add your own quotes.
- Relax Me is an interactive feature with a variety of exercises to help you manage stress such as controlled breathing, meditation and muscle relaxation.
- Coping Tools allows you to create coping cards and plan activities. The coping cards help you identify specific situations or triggers that you struggle with. You can identify the problem, the emotions you feel when that problem comes up, and skills you can use to cope.
The app also allows you to add your own photos, videos and songs that make you feel happy and inspired, and allows you to add support contacts who you could call when you’re feeling down or having an emergency. For a more detailed description of the app, see Google Play or iTunes and for a detailed review, see Reviews.
✔ Easy to access progressive muscle relaxation exercise (PGM).
✘ Coping cards section appears to be temperamental.
Privacy and security
Date of review: July 2018
Platform reviewed: Android
Download size: 34.71 MB
Updated on: 11/10/2016
The following links has more information on the Virtual Hope Box app:
Virtual Hope Box PsyberGuide
Virtual Hope Box A guide for cliniciansDHA Connected Health
Virtual Hope Box User's guide DHA Connected Health
- Denneson LM, Smolenski DJ, Bauer BW, et al. The Mediating Role of Coping Self-Efficacy in Hope Box Use and Suicidal Ideation Severity. Arch Suicide Res. 2018 Apr 6:1-13.
- Bush NE, Smolenski DJ, Denneson LM, et al. A Virtual Hope Box: Randomized Controlled Trial of a Smartphone App for Emotional Regulation and Coping With Distress. Psychiatr Serv. 2017 Apr 1;68(4):330-336.
- Bush NE, et al. Development and Evaluation of a Virtual Hope Box for Reducing Suicidal Ideation