An app aimed at children, adolescents and adults who want to learn how to practice mindfulness and meditation.
- No in-app purchases
- WiFi/Mobile data is needed for the app updates and downloading mediation podcasts
- Data cannot be exported
- No data sharing available
- No online support community
What does the app do?
This is a mindfulness and meditation app. It comprises a selection of meditation programs to meet varying needs — some programs targeted to specific age ranges for example 10-12 years, 16-18 years, adult, etc, while others are specific situations such as workplace or school. Each programme has a specified number of sessions, ranging from 4 sessions to 70 sessions, with each session comprising a podcast that gives the user details of the lesson, activity or meditation to undertake.
For the complete app description, go to Google Play (android) or App Store (apple)
- Comprehensive app, catering for a range of needs.
- Numerous options for customisation — programs can be removed, users can rate how they feel, create a favourites list and set up reminders or notifications.
- Clustered, unattractive dashboard.
- Voice used in the session is male with an Australian accent. No feature to select other voice options.
- Some sessions are quite long.
- Australian-based app, so the contacts mentioned in Support point to Australian agencies.
|Date of this review: May 2017
The following references relate to articles about apps for mindfulness.
- Mani M, Kavanagh DJ, Hides L, Stoyanov SR. Review and Evaluation of Mindfulness-Based iPhone Apps. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2015 Aug 19;3(3):e82.
- Coulon SM, Monroe CM, West DS. A Systematic, Multi-domain Review of Mobile Smartphone Apps for Evidence-Based Stress Management. Am J Prev Med. 2016 Jul;51(1):95-105.
The tech review relates to the technical aspects of the app, such as security, privacy, etc.
Reviewer: Unmesh Jyoti Nitin, PGDip Health Informatics, May 2017
Technical score: ★★★☆☆
- Platform Support: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Requires Android 4.1 and up.
- Performance: App is responsive and features are performing as designed.
- Impact of app on battery: App uses mobile data or WiFi for app update and downloading audio sessions. Settings also have the option of turning on downloading over the WiFi. Therefore, it has minimal impact on battery.
- Data Sharing : No apparent data sharing.
The following links provide more detailed information on the technical aspects of apps.
Understanding mobile apps Consumer Information Federal Trade Commission
Mobile Privacy North Caroline Health Info
Mobile health and fitness apps: What are the privacy risks? Privacy Rights Clearinghouse