An app aimed at anyone having trouble sleeping.
- Music and sound effects to induce sleep
- Creates a different soundtrack with each use
- Internet needed for the initial download – app is very large so should be downloaded using Wi-Fi only
|*This app is awaiting clinical and user reviews. If you are interested in helping with reviews, contact email@example.com
What does the app do?
This app is a series of soundtracks to aid sleep. Each soundtrack has a lead-in male voice of gentle talking which aims to guide the user into a state of calmness and relaxation, and eventually sleep. The soundtracks comprise different frequencies creating a sensation that can soothe and calm the brain - the app developers describe this as "binaural beats that induce theta brainwaves". The app has 2 modules - Power Nap for a short, daytime snooze and Sleep, for longer, nighttime sleep. The user has the option of tailoring the various settings to their preferences such as the length of the track, turning of the lead-in voice, adjusting the volume of both the soundtrack and the voice, etc.
For the complete app description, go to either iTunes (apple) or Google Play (android).
- Simple app suited to anyone who enjoys soothing, calming music as a sleep aid.
- This app is very large and can be expensive on data so should be downloaded using Wi-Fi only.
- The app does not provide any information on sleep habits and sleep hygiene.
|Date of this review: February 2017
This app has been reviewed by other independent websites:
Practical Apps 2: Insomnia
The following references relate to articles about apps for sleep:
- Koffel E, Kuhn E, Petsoulis N, et al. A randomized controlled pilot study of CBT-I Coach: Feasibility, acceptability, and potential impact of a mobile phone application for patients in cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. Health Informatics J. 2016 Jun 27.
- Kuhn E, Weiss BJ, Taylor KL, et al. CBT-I Coach: A Description and Clinician Perceptions of a Mobile App for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016 Apr 15;12(4):597-606.
- Ko PR, Kientz JA, Choe EK, et al. Consumer Sleep Technologies: A Review of the Landscape. J Clin Sleep Med. 2015 Dec 15;11(12):1455-61.
The tech review relates to the technical aspects of the app, such as security, privacy, etc.
Reviewer: Unmesh Jyoti Nitin, PGDip Health Informatics, March 2017
Technical score: ★★★☆☆
- Platform Support: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Requires Android 4.0 and up.
- Performance: App is responsive and features are performing as designed.
- Impact of app on battery: App doesn’t include online services and offers offline playback. Therefore, it won’t be expensive on data.
- Data Sharing : Data can be shared on social media such as facebook and Twitter by the user.
The following links provide more detailed information on the technical aspects of apps.
Understanding mobile apps Consumer Information Federal Trade Commission
Mobile Privacy North Caroline Health Info
Mobile health and fitness apps: What are the privacy risks? Privacy Rights Clearinghouse