The following apps relating to asthma care have been reviewed.
Symptom tracking apps
||An app by the Asthma + Respiratory Foundation NZ for people with asthma, wanting to learn about the condition and create an asthma action plan.|
||An app for people with asthma wanting to record their peak flow readings, asthma symptoms, exercise and smoking habits.|
||An app for people with asthma wanting to record their peak flow readings, asthma symptoms, triggers and medication. The app also has provision to create an asthma action plan.|
Education and information apps
|Kids Beating Asthma||
||An app aimed at children and teenagers with asthma, to learn about their condition. The app seems incomplete and much of the content is under development.|
||An app designed to teach younger children about asthma, using a fun and interactive game. During the game kids learn about asthma care, inhaler timing, inhaler technique, triggers, symptom recognition and appropriate actions to avoid asthma attacks.|
|An app aimed at school staff to create an asthma-friendly classroom.|
The following references relate to articles about apps for asthma:
- Tinschert P, Jakob R, Barata F et al. The Potential of Mobile Apps for Improving Asthma Self-Management: A Review of Publicly Available and Well-Adopted Asthma Apps. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2017 Aug 2;5(8):e113.
- Connected asthma: how technology will transform care Asthma UK
- Hui CY, Walton R, McKinstry B, et al. The use of mobile applications to support self-management for people with asthma: a systematic review of controlled studies to identify features associated with clinical effectiveness and adherence. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Oct 2.
- Cook KA, Modena BD, Simon RA. Improvement in Asthma Control Using a Minimally Burdensome and Proactive Smartphone Application. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016 Jul-Aug;4(4):730-737.
- Househ M, Hossain N, Jamal A, et al. A cross- sectional content analysis of Android applications for asthma. Health Informatics J. 2016 Mar 3.
- Wu AC, Carpenter JF, Himes BE. Mobile health applications for asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015 May-Jun;3(3):446-8
- Huckvale K, Morrison C, Ouyang J, et al. The evolution of mobile apps for asthma: an updated systematic assessment of content and tools. BMC Med. 2015 Mar 23;13:58.
- Marcano Belisario JS, Huckvale K, et al. Smartphone and tablet self management apps for asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Nov 27;(11)