There are variety of mobile apps available for people with asthma. These can be a useful way to learn about and take control of your asthma. Asthma apps can help you keep track of your symptoms, triggers, peak flow readings and medication. You can also create an asthma action plan, together with your doctor or nurse.
|My Asthma app
Living well with asthma
The following 7 simple steps will enable you to take control over your asthma:
- Know your symptoms and understand your asthma.
- Know how your medicines work.
- Take your preventer and symptoms controller every day.
- Know your triggers and avoid them where possible.
- Use a peak flow meter and/or symptom diary.
- Understand and follow a self-management plan.
- Keep in touch with your doctor.
Learn more about controlling your asthma.
The following references relate to articles about apps for asthma:
- Tinschert P, Jakob R, Barata F et al. The Potential of Mobile Apps for Improving Asthma Self-Management: A Review of Publicly Available and Well-Adopted Asthma Apps. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2017 Aug 2;5(8):e113.
- Connected asthma: how technology will transform care Asthma UK
- Hui CY, Walton R, McKinstry B, et al. The use of mobile applications to support self-management for people with asthma: a systematic review of controlled studies to identify features associated with clinical effectiveness and adherence. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Oct 2.
- Cook KA, Modena BD, Simon RA. Improvement in Asthma Control Using a Minimally Burdensome and Proactive Smartphone Application. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016 Jul-Aug;4(4):730-737.
- Househ M, Hossain N, Jamal A, et al. A cross- sectional content analysis of Android applications for asthma. Health Informatics J. 2016 Mar 3.
- Wu AC, Carpenter JF, Himes BE. Mobile health applications for asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015 May-Jun;3(3):446-8
- Huckvale K, Morrison C, Ouyang J, et al. The evolution of mobile apps for asthma: an updated systematic assessment of content and tools. BMC Med. 2015 Mar 23;13:58.
- Marcano Belisario JS, Huckvale K, et al. Smartphone and tablet self management apps for asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Nov 27;(11)