The following apps relating to asthma care have been reviewed.
||An app by the Asthma + Respiratory Foundation NZ for people with asthma, wanting to learn about the condition and create an asthma action.|
||An app for people with asthma wanting to record their peak flow readings, asthma symptoms, exercise and smoking habits.|
||An app for people with asthma wanting to record their peak flow readings, asthma symptoms, triggers and medication. The app also has provision to create an asthma action plan.|
An app aimed at children and teenagers with asthma, to learn about their condition.
The app seems incomplete and much of the content is under development.
An app designed to teach younger children about asthma, using a fun and interactive game.
During the game kids learn about asthma care, inhaler timing, inhaler technique, triggers, symptom recognition and appropriate actions to avoid asthma attacks.
|An app aimed at school staff to create an asthma-friendly classroom.|
The following references relate to articles about apps for asthma:
- Connected asthma: how technology will transform care Asthma UK
- Hui CY, Walton R, McKinstry B, et al. The use of mobile applications to support self-management for people with asthma: a systematic review of controlled studies to identify features associated with clinical effectiveness and adherence. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Oct 2.
- Cook KA, Modena BD, Simon RA. Improvement in Asthma Control Using a Minimally Burdensome and Proactive Smartphone Application. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016 Jul-Aug;4(4):730-737.
- Househ M, Hossain N, Jamal A, et al. A cross-sectional content analysis of Android applications for asthma. Health Informatics J. 2016 Mar 3.
- Wu AC, Carpenter JF, Himes BE. Mobile health applications for asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015 May-Jun;3(3):446-8
- Huckvale K, Morrison C, Ouyang J, et al. The evolution of mobile apps for asthma: an updated systematic assessment of content and tools. BMC Med. 2015 Mar 23;13:58.
- Marcano Belisario JS, Huckvale K, et al. Smartphone and tablet self management apps for asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Nov 27;(11)