Links to further information:
Back pain is a common condition that affects most people at some point during their life. Most cases of back pain are associated with pain and stiffness in the lower back.
Send to a friend
- Back pain is very common affecting 8 out of 10 people at some stage
- The most common causes are sprains, muscle strains, minor injuries or a pinched or irritated nerve and will get better over 4-12 weeks
- AVOID bed rest. This does not help and can make you worse.
- Keep as active as you can, avoid heavy lifting or twisting movements
- Warning signs needing you to see a doctor straight away are any weakness in your lower legs, bowel or bladder problems or numbness over your buttocks and anal region.
Date last reviewed [Date Reviewed]